Deciding for a honeymoon can be a tedious task. Every couple would want to spend their first trip of married life somewhere heavenly. There are several beautiful places on Earth worth visiting on your honeymoon hence it’s not an easy task to decide. If eventually your choices narrow down to Maldives or Bali for a honeymoon, it means you both are on the same page and coming to a conclusion will be easy. Maldives and Bali are summer destinations, both are similar when it comes to their geography, views and popularity among honeymooners. The following are some things to consider while making the final decision.
Maldives (Sunny side of the World)
A world famous holiday destination, Maldives is a paradise nestled in the Indian Ocean. The island nation consists of more than 1000 islands out of which more than half of them are untouched and uninhabited. There are around 200 islands open to the public in Maldives, all inhabited by the locals and tourists. The islands are lined with ethereal coral reefs, fine white sands, lush green palm trees, bushes and mangroves. The exotic resorts, hotels and water villas in Maldives seize every opportunity to make your stay special. Almost all resorts in Maldives occupy an individual island, making them a perfect place for honeymooners and couples. The capital city of Male is a hub for activities in Maldives, be it from water sports to museum visits. The city has something in store for everyone.
As it is a tropical nation, the weather is warm and dry with little to no humidity between January to April.
Things to do in Maldives:
- Snorkelling – Engage in one of the best activities in Maldives, as you dive into the big blue sea. The over water villas in Maldives are designed specifically to cater to your snorkelling needs. The water villas have a direct access to the ocean, encouraging their guests to go snorkelling as many times as they like.
- Scuba Diving – This goes without saying that for an all round experience of Maldives, scuba diving is the way to go. Swim deeper in the seas and explore magnificent whale sharks, green sea turtles, sting rays, yellowfin tunas and flamboyant coral reefs. There are dive centres available at resorts, islands providing expert divers for safety. This is a mandatory activity that should make it to your list of things to do in Maldives.
- SkyDiving – Adventures in Maldives don’t limit themselves to water. Skydiving without a doubt makes it to the list of adventurous activities in Maldives. Experience the adrenaline filled freefall with unusual views of the majestic ocean and islands below you. The one minute freefall is accompanied by professionals who help you land safely on soft white sands. There are certain criteria and rules one must follow to ensure their safety for skydiving in Maldives.
- Surfing – The islands lined with white sands are a perfect spot for surfing. The waves are ideal for surfing as they are not too high for beginners or not too low for experts. The maximum length reached is between your head and shoulders. There are surfing instructors who could teach you surfing techniques and who knows you might end up with a new hobby in Maldives.
- Exploring Male – Every standard itinerary includes exploring the culture, heritage and history of the new place. If your spouse is a history lover, exploring museums, art galleries, local markets would be a perfect day out for you. There several places to visit in Male as well i.e the underwater restaurants, cute aesthetic cafes, beaches, souvenir shops and many more.
Places to stay in Maldives :
Since Maldives is known for its heavenly beaches and romantic resorts, here are some top 5 resorts in Maldives for honeymooners in which you should surely consider staying in.
Six Senses Laamu – This is where the pinnacle of luxury, comfort and beauty comes to life. . Newlyweds on their honeymoon look for places that elevate their happiness and love. At Six Senses Laamu, they encourage tourists to go barefoot in an attempt to bring them closer to nature and promote green practices. The resort is equipped with posh rooms, over-water restaurants, bars, poolside and relaxing spa treatments. Go on exploring the beach barefoot with your loved one and watch the beautiful sunset on Maldivian sands.
Finolhu Beach Bubble Tents – One of the best resorts in Maldives for honeymooners, Finolhu Beach Bubble offers one-of-kind style accommodation to its guests. Get a chance to spend the most unforgettable night of your life under the starry sky on majestic Maldivian sandbars. It doesn’t get any more romantic than this. The bubble tents are well furnished with clean bathrooms and linens. Spend quality time inside your own bubble at Finolhu where it’s just you and your spouse with no distractions.
Centara Grand Resort – It is one of the budget resorts in Maldives yet it does not compromise on quality and luxury. The resort has an open concept in its rooms, villas and restaurant, creating a laid back feel among the guests. The honeymooners get their privacy as well as comfort at Centara Grand Resort. The exquisite restaurants and bars are perfect for dinner dates after spending a whole day of adventures.
Hard Rock Hotel Maldives – One of the best resorts in Maldives for honeymooners, Hard Rock hotel best suits the young, newlywed couple. The decor of this resort hotel is sleek, modern and futuristic. Unlike the other resorts in Maldives, the interiors of Hard Rock Hotel are colourful, hip and trendy. They have some of the best water villas in Maldives with private terraces, open wooden decks and a Rock Shop. For the musical honeymoon couple, sway to the Maldivian beats at Hard Rock Hotel.
Como Cocoa Island – Stay at one of the most popular resorts of Maldives that contributed in starting the bandwagon of luxury resort islands in Maldives. The awesome views you get to witness at Como Cocoa island resort feel like a painting. The colour palette of turquoise waters, clear blue skies and pristine white sands will bless your eyes in Maldives. Experience the Maldives vacation staying on an island that has posh amenities with your loved ones and make the best of your honeymoon.
The island nation receives tourists from all over the world. The standard mode of transactions in Maldives is through cash or international credit cards. It is crucial that you convert your currency to Maldivian Rufiyaa (MVR) or carry US Dollars, British Pounds or Euros for transactions at local markets and shopping sprees.
Bali (Island of Gods)
The pearl of Southeast Asia, Bali is a hub for backpackers, soul seekers, honeymooners and leisure travellers. Indonesia, just like Maldives, has more than 1000s of islands scattered around its seas. The island of Bali is a small province in Indonesia with diverse culture spread across its territories. The island is diverse in every form, topographically, demographically, culturally and historically. When you visit this tropical haven, it’s not just you, your mind, body and soul goes on a journey as well. The lavish beaches, serene waterfalls, magnificent temples and dazzling nightlife of Bali still leaves room to unravel this mysterious island. For honeymooners, the island is bound to take you on a journey of self discovery and at the same time strengthen the bond between you and your spouse. Abundance of activities in Bali lets you get a peek at its culture, its heritage and aura.
Following are some things to do in Bali on honeymoon to make it even more memorable.
- Nature Walks – The island of Bali is rich and abundant in its natural beauty. There are ample rice terraces, forests, village tours and serene waterfalls across the island. Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Jatiluwih Rice Terrace where you can see lush greenery as far as your eye can see. The greenery in Bali is unmatched. Definitely one of the best things to do in Bali for calm vibes.
- Temple Visits – Bali has more than 10,000 temples standing to this present day. Marriages are believed to be the spiritual union of two souls in Balinese culture. What better place than a temple for honeymooners who are embarking on their spiritual journey together. These temples are centuries old, still echoing with ancient legends and stories. One of the best places to visit in Bali for honeymoon, Bali temples are an ideal match for new couples.
- Scuba Diving – Being an island destination, scuba diving in Bali is among the most celebrated water sports. There are various diving schools, diving spots in Bali that offer diverse underwater views. Expect the unexpected while scuba diving in Bali because the reefs, marine life, shipwrecks and underwater caves are here to take your breath away. The dives are further subdivided into beginner and advanced so that you and your spouse can choose the best suitable package.
- Backpacking – The central and southern Bali areas like Ubud, Canggu, Sanur, Seminyak, Uluwatu, Jimbaran etc receive more tourist traffic than the rest of the island. Definitely added to the list of things to do in Bali, backpacking around the island is welcomed wholeheartedly by the majority of the tourists. Renting scooters is the best way to get around the island if you are backpacking. If you and your spouse are free souls and live as the day comes, this is the best way to spend your honeymoon in Bali.
- Shopping – A honeymoon is incomplete without a shopping spree especially when it comes to a place like Bali. Shopping is one of the best activities to do in Bali as the variety of products here is unmatched. The local markets consist of local handicrafts, boutiques, jewellery shops, furniture and home decor.
Places to stay in Bali
1. Padma Resort Legian
Majority of the best places in Bali for honeymoon are located right by the sea. Padma Resort Legian is an elegant, posh resort surrounded by tropical gardens. The resort reflects hints of Balinese culture in its decor and services. Balinese people are close to their roots and value nature around them dearly. The resort is equipped with modern amenities, spas, beach club, 3 restaurants and 4 pools. An ideal place for couples to spend time and soak in the beauty of Bali.
2. W Bali – Seminyak
This is an upscale hotel and a resort located at the shores of Bali Sea. The search for the best resort in Bali for a honeymoon is finally over. W Bali offers surreal ocean views, gardens and luxe rooms to their guests. The flawless chic decor, rejuvenating spas and fine dining restaurants will make your honeymoon in Bali unforgettable. It is hard not to fall in love with this place and hard not to fall in love at this place.
3. The Anvaya Beach Resort
A sophisticated hotel stay for a sophisticated couple, the Anvaya beach resort hotel is a standard yet posh accommodation near Jerman beach. The interiors of this hotel is grand, oozing with Balinese heritage and culture. The resort hotel has 8 pools, extraordinary suites, beach facing villas with a private beach entry. Since it’s close to the Ngurah Rai International Airport, it is one of the best hotels in Bali for a honeymoon that is pocket friendly.
3. Hyatt Regency Bali
Set near the Sanur Beach, Hyatt Regency is one of the best hotels in Bali. The most attractive feature of this upscale hotel is its authentic Balinese architecture and decor. You are sure to catch a glimpse of the island’s culture on its walls, lobby, furniture and even their linens. The place is absolutely stunning, offering a blissful experience to its guests. There is a pizzeria, lavish piano lounge and a wellness club for the ultimate Bali experience.
As every couple is different in their own way, in their own chemistry, Maldives and Bali are different in their aura. Maldives offer you a fairytale honeymoon where only you and your spouse exist. On the other hand, Bali offers a spiritual aura, strengthening the soul connection between you and your spouse. Either way, it all comes down to how well you know your partner and choose accordingly.